1828 - 2014
With only eighteen members the Rabun Creek Baptist Church had its beginnings on September 6, 1823, as a branch of the Warrior Creek Baptist Church. Many residents of the community contributed by subscription to the building of the first house of worship.
With a membership of thirty-nine this body was constituted into the Rabun Creek Baptist Church on August 2, 1828. The newly-constituted church was a member of the Reedy River Baptist Association until 1896 when it joined with the other Baptist churches in the county to form the Laurens Baptist Association.
By 1836 the membership had increased to seventy, and in 1837 the church building was repaired and enlarged. In 1859 the original building was torn down and a new one erected.
While we do not know exactly when the Sunday School was organized, the church reported to the association in 1860 that the Sunday School was flourishing.
In September of 1942 the church voted to begin having worship services every Sunday, and that same year five Sunday School rooms were added to that building.
The first unit of the present building was completed in 1952, and the steeple was added in 1953. The second unit was completed in 1965, and the third unit, a new fellowship hall, was completed in 1976.
From its beginning with thirty-nine members in 1828, our church has grown to its present membership of over four hundred resident members.